Skip to main content

The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

 

Book review: The Bookish Life of Nina Hill


         My Rating: 


" Meet Nina Hill: A young woman supremely confident in her own...shell.

The only child of a single mother, Nina has her life just as she wants it: a job in a bookstore, a kick-butt trivia team, a world-class planner and a cat named Phil. If she sometimes suspects there might be more to life than reading, she just shrugs and picks up a new book.

When the father Nina never knew existed suddenly dies, leaving behind innumerable sisters, brothers, nieces, and nephews, Nina is horrified. They all live close by! They're all--or mostly all--excited to meet her! She'll have to Speak. To. Strangers. It's a disaster! And as if that wasn't enough, Tom, her trivia nemesis, has turned out to be cute, funny, and deeply interested in getting to know her. Doesn't he realize what a terrible idea that is?

Nina considers her options.

1. Completely change her name and appearance. (Too drastic, plus she likes her hair.)

2. Flee to a deserted island. (Hard pass, see: coffee).

3. Hide in a corner of her apartment and rock back and forth. (Already doing it.)

It's time for Nina to come out of her comfortable shell, but she isn't convinced real life could ever live up to fiction. It's going to take a brand new family, a persistent suitor, and the combined effects of ice cream and trivia to make her turn her own fresh page."

~ From Goodreads ~

This was such a cute and hilarious book. It was especially fun because it was an audiobook. A simple, happy life of an introvert book lover who loves people, but cannot be with them in large doses. 

She is organized, is a stationery freak, and is an adorable young woman who just discovers that she has a pretty large family, while she is in her late 20s. She pushes away the people in her life because she gets anxious and likes to be alone. So imagine her situation. I was hyperventilating just at the thought of the number of people she will have to meet and greet!

Weekly quiz nights introduces her to her new boyfriend. The internal turmoil of this young woman, who keeps her heart closely guarded and her mind always on alert, when faced with an overload of new characters in her life, is what this book is all about. 

As you must have guessed, I identify with her a lot (Yes, even the adorable and young part). Maybe that is why I have given it 5 stars. I wish I had read something like this a long time ago and I wish I knew that it was okay to love books so much. The major difference is that she has a very good memory. She remembers all the details of the books that she reads. I used to be like that at one time. But now I just remember the feelings in books and not the specific details. 

This is one of the reasons I started this blog. I wanted to be able to remember more details about books when I look back at these reviews years down the line.

And it was perfect for the following Reading Prompts too: 

Popsugar Reading Challenge 2021: A book with a family tree

Reading With Muffy: A Book where the title starts with "the"



Comments

  1. This sounds like such a delightful book! I can relate to her as well - one to add to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this one and loved Nina Hill with all my heart. I too identified with her a lot with the exception of an elephant's memory about facts. I am too a Feelings person and remember clearly how each one of my favourite books have made me feel. The most intense has been Forty Rules of Love by Eli Shafak in terms of feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that book on my TBR this month. Cant wait to experience it.

      Delete
  3. I've heard about this one and am now going to make sure I get it, Jyothi. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and cute story. I am also organized and fond of stationary, I also wanted to open a book store or a library. This book has to be added on my TBR. Thanks for the review Jyothi.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What 2020 has taught me?

  Let’s see, apart from the fact that it scared the sh*t out off me, there are at least 10 things that the year 2020 has taught me. Please find them below in no particular order.   1.      There is nothing that a change in thought process can’t change. Each time I have entered the blogging world, I have always left it behind with big life lessons. It happened again in 2020. The number of people we meet online far outnumbers the number of people we meet in real life. So the experiences and lessons are learned faster and with a bang. But I will still persist and continue blogging, purely for the love of it. 2.      There is nothing that is permanent in this life. May it be personal or professional, it’s time to learn to not take anything or anyone for granted. I knew this at the back of the head before, but now it is imprinted in me.   3.      There is nothing that is more important than love and harmony. Being right or wrong isn’t the issue. The issue s are your thoughts and a

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Book Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  My Rating: ⭐️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ "Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor. Together these dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox—the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with

Atomic Habits

 Book Review: Atomic Habits My Rating:  ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ " Learn how to: *  make time for new habits (even when life gets crazy); *  overcome a lack of motivation and willpower; *  design your environment to make success easier; *  get back on track when you fall off course; ...and much more. Atomic Habits will reshape the way you think about progress and success, and give you the tools and strategies you need to transform your habits--whether you are a team looking to win a championship, an organization hoping to redefine an industry, or simply an individual who wishes to quit smoking, lose weight, reduce stress, or achieve any other goal." ~  From Goodreads  ~ This is definitely a book that is going to change my life for the better! I had come across a few of the techniques mentioned in this book even before. But the way the author has made a fair and just (aka doable) list of all that is important into an amazing book is just mind blowing.  I have to be honest