Skip to main content

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Book Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

 My Rating: ⭐️

"Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.

Together these dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox—the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years. "

~ From Goodreads ~

This one made me feel like a kid again. I never used to read such books as a kid though. I was into Nancy Drew and the likes back then. But I used to enjoy the Star Trek Series on TV. So yes, this one took me back to my childhood, when Space was a frontier worth exploring and with the dreams of being able to be one of the technicians on board the enterprise. Yup, I was a geek even in my dreams!

I have heard about this book so many times before. But I honestly would never have picked it up if it weren’t for a Popsugar Reading Challenge prompt last year. ( My List )

I must say I was really impressed, first by the humor and then by the way the story unfolded. I loved the way it is written. The characters have now become a part of my mind space, and I believe all of them will be remembered fondly by me, till time eternity.

I can’t wait to read the next one in the series ( The restaurant at the End of the Universe). It fits perfectly into the 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge prompt too.

Have you read this one? What did you think about it?

I am adding this to my Fav Book Review of the Month blog hop, which I kickstarted this year to discover more "Must Read" books. I hope you will add the review of your favorite December 2020 reads there too. 


Comments

  1. I haven't read this book, but I love movies/stories based on space. I make it a point to catch up the sci-fi movies like Interstellar, Gravity etc. Honestly, I can't wrap my head around the jargon used in the films, but the idea seems fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. This is a more humorous take on space and aliens. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much.

      Delete
  2. I had read this book years ago - it's quite an interesting read! Also a cult classic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one. I plan to be more adventurous with my reading this year. Let's see if I can read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quick fun read. I slid it in between heavy reads. :-)

      Delete
  4. I love the books on space. But am yet to read, I will pick it up as my next read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a quick fun read. I hope you enjoy it too.

      Delete
  5. This is my absolute favorite series. I have read all 5 and still reread excerpts. The humor, creativity and characters made a deep impression. Glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Now I am really excited about the next four!

      Delete
  6. I heard this book somewhere in 2014 I guess when my husband talked about it. A couple of years ago finally I gifted this book to him for our anniversary. But I didn't read the book yet. Your review is making me want to pick up the book, Jyoti. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my son has a copy of this one with him too!

      You must read it, it’s a short fun read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What 2020 has taught me?

  Let’s see, apart from the fact that it scared the sh*t out off me, there are at least 10 things that the year 2020 has taught me. Please find them below in no particular order.   1.      There is nothing that a change in thought process can’t change. Each time I have entered the blogging world, I have always left it behind with big life lessons. It happened again in 2020. The number of people we meet online far outnumbers the number of people we meet in real life. So the experiences and lessons are learned faster and with a bang. But I will still persist and continue blogging, purely for the love of it. 2.      There is nothing that is permanent in this life. May it be personal or professional, it’s time to learn to not take anything or anyone for granted. I knew this at the back of the head before, but now it is imprinted in me.   3.      There is nothing that is more important than love and harmony. Being right or wrong isn’t the issue. The issue s are your thoughts and a

Atomic Habits

 Book Review: Atomic Habits My Rating:  ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ " Learn how to: *  make time for new habits (even when life gets crazy); *  overcome a lack of motivation and willpower; *  design your environment to make success easier; *  get back on track when you fall off course; ...and much more. Atomic Habits will reshape the way you think about progress and success, and give you the tools and strategies you need to transform your habits--whether you are a team looking to win a championship, an organization hoping to redefine an industry, or simply an individual who wishes to quit smoking, lose weight, reduce stress, or achieve any other goal." ~  From Goodreads  ~ This is definitely a book that is going to change my life for the better! I had come across a few of the techniques mentioned in this book even before. But the way the author has made a fair and just (aka doable) list of all that is important into an amazing book is just mind blowing.  I have to be honest