Skip to main content

The Wind in the Willows

Book Review: The Wind in the Willows


My Rating: 


"There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats."

When Mole flees his little underground home he discovers new friends and adventures with Rat, Toad, and Badger.

This much-loved story has been carefully retold for young children to enjoy. With beautiful illustrations throughout, it provides the perfect introduction to a classic tale.

~ From Goodreads ~

While growing up, I think I happened to watch a cartoon series based on this book. I didn't care much for it back then, of course. It was a story about a bunch of rodents, right?

Wrong! Well not exactly wrong. This story has a lot of vivid characterizations of people. It's about friendship, it's about relationships about the most basic behaviors of most people we know and meet in life.

There is a restless mole, who wants more out of life, meeting with an over-organized and enthusiastic Water Rat, who helps the mole learn the robes of living at the riverside, about boats and et all.

Then there is a wise Badger, an old know it all, who tries to guide everyone in the right direction. Reclusive, not very social, but well-liked and highly honored none the less.

Toad's restlessness and excitement for all things new put him in a spot of danger. He is arrogant, conceited, and very impulsive. Yet his friends support him and help him out of the mess!

How does one rate and review a classic like this one? A children’s book with all the emotions and characters of adults with life lessons and a lot of heart.

The mole, the water rat, the badger, and the toad. Each very different from the other, yet they make an amazing group of friends.

I am glad I had this in my (Kindle) TBR and could easily incorporate it into one of the prompts of all the 5 Reading Challenges I am participating in. So, this is also my announcement post for these challenges. 

Monthly Motif Reading Challenge 2021: JANUARY-  Once Upon A Time. Read a book from the Fantasy, Fairytale, Mythology, or Folklore Sub Genres.

Popsugar Reading Challenge 2021: A book with something broken on the cover (The Brick wall)

Reading With Muffy: JANUARY-  A Book with real animals on the cover  (They are real animals right?)

Book Bingo 2021: Once upon a time

Fiction-NonFiction Challenge 2021- A Children's Book

I hope I am able to complete at least half of the above challenges this year. But I think I just might. 2020 being what it was, I still managed to complete (reading for) all the 2020 versions of the above challenges. (except for writing the reviews and linking parts). 

Are you participating in any reading challenges this year? I discovered them in 2019. I participated in one in 2019 and in five in 2020. It had helped me discover non-fiction books and a lot of genres I never even knew existed!

Also, if you want you could add the review of your best read of December 2020 to my Review Of the Month monthly blog linky that I started this year to help me discover good books and good friends. 

Comments

  1. You are tempting me to take part in challenge too, but I know I won't be able to finish it. Great choice... Sounds like a fun book 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. It is a Children's Classic. I haven't read many classics actually. I hope I read at least a couple of them this year. Taking part in multiple challenges is fun. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Book Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  My Rating: ⭐️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ "Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor. Together these dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox—the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with

What 2020 has taught me?

  Let’s see, apart from the fact that it scared the sh*t out off me, there are at least 10 things that the year 2020 has taught me. Please find them below in no particular order.   1.      There is nothing that a change in thought process can’t change. Each time I have entered the blogging world, I have always left it behind with big life lessons. It happened again in 2020. The number of people we meet online far outnumbers the number of people we meet in real life. So the experiences and lessons are learned faster and with a bang. But I will still persist and continue blogging, purely for the love of it. 2.      There is nothing that is permanent in this life. May it be personal or professional, it’s time to learn to not take anything or anyone for granted. I knew this at the back of the head before, but now it is imprinted in me.   3.      There is nothing that is more important than love and harmony. Being right or wrong isn’t the issue. The issue s are your thoughts and a

Atomic Habits

 Book Review: Atomic Habits My Rating:  ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ " Learn how to: *  make time for new habits (even when life gets crazy); *  overcome a lack of motivation and willpower; *  design your environment to make success easier; *  get back on track when you fall off course; ...and much more. Atomic Habits will reshape the way you think about progress and success, and give you the tools and strategies you need to transform your habits--whether you are a team looking to win a championship, an organization hoping to redefine an industry, or simply an individual who wishes to quit smoking, lose weight, reduce stress, or achieve any other goal." ~  From Goodreads  ~ This is definitely a book that is going to change my life for the better! I had come across a few of the techniques mentioned in this book even before. But the way the author has made a fair and just (aka doable) list of all that is important into an amazing book is just mind blowing.  I have to be honest