Skip to main content

Normal People

 Book Review: Normal People

                      My Rating: 


"At school, Connell and Marianne pretend not to know each other. He’s popular and well-adjusted, star of the school soccer team while she is lonely, proud, and intensely private. But when Connell comes to pick his mother up from her housekeeping job at Marianne’s house, a strange and indelible connection grows between the two teenagers - one they are determined to conceal.

A year later, they’re both studying at Trinity College in Dublin. Marianne has found her feet in a new social world while Connell hangs at the sidelines, shy and uncertain. Throughout their years in college, Marianne and Connell circle one another, straying toward other people and possibilities but always magnetically, irresistibly drawn back together. Then, as she veers into self-destruction and he begins to search for meaning elsewhere, each must confront how far they are willing to go to save the other.

Sally Rooney brings her brilliant psychological acuity and perfectly spare prose to a story that explores the subtleties of class, the electricity of first love, and the complex entanglements of family and friendship."

~ From Goodreads ~


This is a coming of age story of two young adults Connell and Marianne. One rich and troubled and the other poor and troubled. 

I think the major issue I had with this book is that the author has tried to incorporate a lot of the "happening" topics into the story. There is teenage suicide, there is gun control, there is social bias, there is bullying, etc...

There is everything that is present in the life of young adults these days. Yet, I never felt anything for the characters rather than the urge to shake them up and tell them to communicate better. I guess that's the "adult" in me speaking. Maybe a younger me would have been more compassionate towards the characters. 

Mental health is a fragile topic and I honestly think it could have been dealt with in a better way in the story. What remains with me is the stigma portrayed, that is still attached to people who actually seek help in time. It is not something I would promote. 

Other than the fact that there are no conversation quotation marks in the entire book, which has a lot of conversations, the writing needs to be appreciated here. I am looking forward to reading more books by this author to further understand her way of writing. 

Have you read this one? Do let me know what you thought about it in the comments below. 

I read this one for the prompts of the following Reading challenges:

Popsugar Reading Challenge 2021: A book set in different countries.

Book Bingo 2021: Your Choice. ( I had picked up this book to fill 2020 prompt " Booker Prize Nominee")

Fiction-NonFiction Challenge 2021- A book by a female author.


Comments

  1. Haven't read this one, although I've heard of it. Now based on your review, I'll give it a miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth reading though. I mean, it was nominated for Man Booker Prize. But it didn't make me feel anything. I guess our ratings always depend on the phase of life we read them in. I have realized that over the past year or so , my tastes have changed.

      Delete
  2. I have read a few reviews of the book. Love your honest review. It is a hard subject to write on. And I guess it is not an easy read as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not entirely about Mental Health though. But I guess dividing that line is a tough call. Because almost everything in life is about that, in some form or the other.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Book Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  My Rating: ⭐️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ "Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor. Together these dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox—the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with

What 2020 has taught me?

  Let’s see, apart from the fact that it scared the sh*t out off me, there are at least 10 things that the year 2020 has taught me. Please find them below in no particular order.   1.      There is nothing that a change in thought process can’t change. Each time I have entered the blogging world, I have always left it behind with big life lessons. It happened again in 2020. The number of people we meet online far outnumbers the number of people we meet in real life. So the experiences and lessons are learned faster and with a bang. But I will still persist and continue blogging, purely for the love of it. 2.      There is nothing that is permanent in this life. May it be personal or professional, it’s time to learn to not take anything or anyone for granted. I knew this at the back of the head before, but now it is imprinted in me.   3.      There is nothing that is more important than love and harmony. Being right or wrong isn’t the issue. The issue s are your thoughts and a

Atomic Habits

 Book Review: Atomic Habits My Rating:  ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ " Learn how to: *  make time for new habits (even when life gets crazy); *  overcome a lack of motivation and willpower; *  design your environment to make success easier; *  get back on track when you fall off course; ...and much more. Atomic Habits will reshape the way you think about progress and success, and give you the tools and strategies you need to transform your habits--whether you are a team looking to win a championship, an organization hoping to redefine an industry, or simply an individual who wishes to quit smoking, lose weight, reduce stress, or achieve any other goal." ~  From Goodreads  ~ This is definitely a book that is going to change my life for the better! I had come across a few of the techniques mentioned in this book even before. But the way the author has made a fair and just (aka doable) list of all that is important into an amazing book is just mind blowing.  I have to be honest