Skip to main content

Unfinished: A Memoir

 Book Review : Unfinished: A Memoir


My Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐


"Unfinished is a collection of personal essays, stories, and observations by actor, producer, activist and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, Priyanka Chopra.

‘The flavor of the book will be honest, funny, spirited, bold, and rebellious, just like me. I have always been a private person; I’ve never spoken about my feelings during my journey but I am ready to do so now. I was raised to be fearless when it came to opinions, and I would like to tell my story in the hopes of inspiring people--especially women--to change the conversation, to shatter glass ceilings. Women are always told we can’t have everything. I want everything, and I believe anyone else can have it too. I’m proof of it.’ – Priyanka Chopra"

It is very honest(there are a few embarrassing stuff in there) and a simple memoir if ever there was one. The journey from a non-filmy background to the International Iconic Star that she is. A long and inspiring series of decisions and outcomes.

The journey of a middle-class, average-looking, loud, and sort of brattish kid in the 1990s. Her life felt privileged and was kind of a wonder to me. I always try to identify with the characters that I think have a lot in common with me. In this case, all that we have in common is that she is an Indian too!

She is brave. I wouldn't imagine doing some of the things that she has mentioned in the book. I guess, the family we are born into plays a big role in the kind of things that we do or if we are brave enough to try and do. The kind of support she got from her family and her extended family is amazing. I know her life is enviable in every other way too. But I most envy her support system. They gave her the wings to fly. 

Let that be the lesson that every parent learns from her life and this book. It's definitely worth a read. Here's looking forward to all she has in store for us in the coming years. 


It fits the following reading prompts:

Popsugar Reading Challenge 2021A book that has the same title as a song

Fiction-NonFiction Challenge 2021A book by a female author

Book Bingo 2021: An eagerly anticipated release

Comments

  1. A good support system does make a huge difference in how you live your life! And Priyanka has busted some pretty big glass ceilings for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she has. I am in awe of her success.

      Delete
  2. She really has gone places and speaks her mind. I'm not sure I want to read the book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She speaks her mind for sure. She does have a sorted out head on her shoulders.

      Delete
  3. She is inspiring to a lot of people. I caught snippets of her conversation with Oprah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am yet to see the interview. But I have seen some forwards of her bold statements in social media.

      Delete
  4. I don't know why I'm not overly drawn to autobiographies and biographies of contemporaries. I'm not really into reading about celebrities at all, though Priyanka seems to be one of the more interesting and pleasant among them. Your review does tempt me (a little)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's her personality that attracted me to read her book. I wanted to know what leads someone to be successful beyond their dreams. I guess the first step is having those dreams. But in her case, she just went with the flow and learnt to ride the tide to success.

      Delete
  5. Priyanka Chopra did come a long way. Though I don't read books centering celebrities, I must admit your review does tempt me. Well, if I read the book will let you know my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know when you read it. It will be interesting to compare notes on this one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Book Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  My Rating: ⭐️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ "Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor. Together these dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox—the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with

What 2020 has taught me?

  Let’s see, apart from the fact that it scared the sh*t out off me, there are at least 10 things that the year 2020 has taught me. Please find them below in no particular order.   1.      There is nothing that a change in thought process can’t change. Each time I have entered the blogging world, I have always left it behind with big life lessons. It happened again in 2020. The number of people we meet online far outnumbers the number of people we meet in real life. So the experiences and lessons are learned faster and with a bang. But I will still persist and continue blogging, purely for the love of it. 2.      There is nothing that is permanent in this life. May it be personal or professional, it’s time to learn to not take anything or anyone for granted. I knew this at the back of the head before, but now it is imprinted in me.   3.      There is nothing that is more important than love and harmony. Being right or wrong isn’t the issue. The issue s are your thoughts and a

Atomic Habits

 Book Review: Atomic Habits My Rating:  ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ ️ ⭐ " Learn how to: *  make time for new habits (even when life gets crazy); *  overcome a lack of motivation and willpower; *  design your environment to make success easier; *  get back on track when you fall off course; ...and much more. Atomic Habits will reshape the way you think about progress and success, and give you the tools and strategies you need to transform your habits--whether you are a team looking to win a championship, an organization hoping to redefine an industry, or simply an individual who wishes to quit smoking, lose weight, reduce stress, or achieve any other goal." ~  From Goodreads  ~ This is definitely a book that is going to change my life for the better! I had come across a few of the techniques mentioned in this book even before. But the way the author has made a fair and just (aka doable) list of all that is important into an amazing book is just mind blowing.  I have to be honest